Saturday, November 1, 2008

What to wear, what to wear????

After a whole lot of activities here and there, we ended our week puzzled and bewildered with what we were going to wear to the mall to celebrate the Reformation (and Halloween, too.) Normally, it wouldn't be such a big deal, but one very picky daughter of mine just couldn't find a costume in mommy's wardrobe to wear. All dressed up and ready to go. Darling D. in his Mongolian suit, Miss M. wearing a graduation gown, and mommy's graduation sash, tassels, and hat, and Mr. J. wearing his Chinese Dragon outfit.

So, this was not a perfect fit, as you can see by Miss M.'s body language....not happy. I love the expression on Mr. J.'s face. What a twirp!


A lesson from my mom:
As a child, I longed for a girly, ruffly, pink princess costume that all of my friends bragged about, but was always given one of my dad's flannel shirts (you know the type....the one that he hunted, chopped wood, fished, etc. in), a fresh face of "freckles" complements of my mother's eye-liner pencil, a pair of red logger-type suspenders, a pair of my mom's jeans so I had ample room to tuck the pillow into, and if I was lucky I would get to wear the one "high quality" (heehee) brown, short, curly haired wig that my mom had lying around. Year after year, I would ask my mom what I was suppose to be, and year after year she always said, "A hobo." At the time, I had no idea what a hobo was. I remember going out door to door trick-or-treating and seeing all of the princesses, pumpkins, and scarecrows parading thru the neighborhood, but do you know what??? I had just as much fun watching my mom rummage thru her closet to find us something to wear. I would venture to say that my mom spent way more time and effort "uniforming" us for a night of fun as any other mother. She always took such care to make sure our faces were freckled just right, and she always sat back and admired her work with a big smile. Now that I have little "pumpkins" of my own, I realize that the perfect costume doesn't need to be fancy. We had a great time searching the closets, and I think we did a great job! SO, to you mommy-dearest...thank you for the life lesson. xoxoxo

1 comment:

Catherine said...

"ample room" that is hilarious!!