Friday, January 9, 2009

A few tidbits that are on my mind today....

There are days when I think way to much about silly things, and today seems to be one of them. While I was out running errands this morning, I caught a man staring at D' and I. Normally, when someone is "caught staring" they will turn away, but it was obvious he was not. I wondered what was so stinkin' interesting to him.

When I got in my car, I thought about it the entire way home. Over the past 1 1/2, I have caught people staring, or some feel that it is their duty to inform me that I have an Asian child. Well....duh! Please don't take this post personally if I say something offensive to you, but I thought I'd point out some down right amazing things that people have said to me. As a proud momma to a darling Asian boy, please think twice about saying the following:)....

1. Questioner: Where'd you get him? My response: Excuse me? What do you mean where did I get him? I didn't just pick him up somewhere! He is a gift from God! - that usually shuts them up quickly:).

2. Questioner: Is your husband Asian? My response: Again...Excuse me? Why do you feel like it is your business to ask? But if you really need to know, no he is not. He is Dutch, and I am Norwegian. The doctors are baffled....heehee!

3. Questioner: It's so nice that you were able to have your own first (referring to Miss M. and Mr. J.) My response: He is my own, too! He is no less my child than they are. I love them all the same!

4. Questioner: Do you have fertility problems? My response: Are you kidding me? Do YOU have common sense problems? Who asks someone that?

5. Questioner: How much did that cost you? My response: He's priceless!

6. Questioner: Why don't you just adopt a child from our own country? We have a lot of kids that need homes here, too. My response: Yes, there are hundreds of thousands of orphans in the United States. It is my prayer that they will be united with families, too. Regarding our specific situation, well that is a personal decision.

7. Questioner: He is so lucky! My response: Ahem....I think we are the lucky ones:).

Now.....for my all time most irritating question....
8. Questioner (this one makes my blood boil a bit): He's a boy from China. I thought you could only get girls. What is wrong with him? My response: What is WRONG with you? At what point did you think it was your mission in life to know every detail of my life! He is an amazing child and we are incredibly blessed to have him!

Seriously...I have been asked all of these questions over the past year and a half, and I'm sure many others that are equally as offensive, but I can't think of them right now. I choose to believe that the stares are because my kids are so darling:).

Again, please don't take offense if you have ever asked me one of these questions, because I often have to consider the source. If it is a complete stranger, then I am usually highly offended and will let them know (in a nice way, of course.) If it is a close friend, or if someone is genuinely interested in adopting, I am happy to answer basic questions about ADOPTION. I try to be as protective as I can about my family. I know there is a natural curiosity when people see our family, but it is important to remember most, if not all adoptees do not want to be singled out. They want to fit in with their family, and not have people point out their differences.

Just my opinion.....from a very protective mommy!

1 comment:

amy said...

I am shocked.
Shocked that people think this way.

I am praying that REALLY SOON you can hear even more of these crazy things because you have your sweet A is out and about with you :).