Sunday, August 9, 2009

Happy Gotcha day, baby....

The L' family from NY. They are anxiously awaiting their gotcha day with their second beautiful boy from China any day. This handsome little guy is from the same orphanage/foster home as D', and they were forever united with him on the same day as we were with D. Happy G' day, L' family! Prayers for a speedy travel approval for you.Yet another picture of D' on gotcha day. Trust me, I have tons!
D' with daddy.


Look at how our boy has grown!


I just want to pinch his cheeks.
Today marks the two year anniversary of our "gotcha" day. Two years ago today, we were in a small, rickety van traveling thru the back streets of the outskirts of Beijing on our way to be forever united with our amazing little D'.
I have some fairly vivid memories of that day. I remember the pungent smells that wafted thru the streets, and the worn looks on the peoples faces as we drove thru the narrow streets where they worked their fingers to the bone. Work that we would rely on machinery to complete was completed with a shovel and tired hands and backs. I remember people pushing carts along the sides of the road overflowing with melon, peaches, and corn on their way to sell it in nearby markets. I remember the stares from the locals as it was probably a little unusual to see fair skinned people outside of the cities. I was conciously trying to take as much in as I could as I wanted to remember it all. But, as all memories do, they've faded with time.
Anticipation doesn't come close to describing what we were feeling after 15 months of waiting for our son. So many other words come to mind. Nervous, excited, overwhelmed, elated, but the most important word that comes to mind is utter and complete love for our boy that was born half way across the world. Happy Gotcha Day, D. We love you!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Beautiful, Shelby...the words and pictures. Happy Gotcha Day, D! Glad Mommy and Daddy VK "gotcha".

love, Karen

julia said...

amazing what happens in just 2 years your family has grown so much,who knows how many kids you'll have in another couple years:)

Shirlee McCoy said...

Your word pictures were vivid, and I felt like I was there with you, taking it all in. I love the photos. It's so neat to see what two years can do for a child.