Saturday, January 8, 2011

Just so I remember.....

Aw....raising a tween.  It's.....well.....interesting to say the least.  It has given me a whole new appreciation for my mother and father.  I don't know how my dad did it.....4 girls in the house w/one bathroom.  Dad, you are my hero! 

Anyhoo, I had the privilege of taking my darling daughter and her bff for an outing last night.  We went out for ice cream, which apparently made yours truly "cool".  I listened to Miss M and her bff banter back and forth in the ice cream shop and was having flashbacks of my youth (Auntie K'...if you are reading this....think burritos, popcorn, cows, etc....good times!).  Miss M' and bff were using terms such as "smootches," "kisses," "epic-coolness," etc.   I (giggling right along with them) proclaimed "smootches" to my darling daughter and was quickly shot an "eye roll" and demoted from my "cool" mom status. :)  Ok.....note to self....leave the "trendy talk" to the juveniles.

We then headed off to the mall.  We actually had a great time!  We tried on silly clothes, went into all of the "cool" shops (apparently Walmart doesn't qualify as "cool"...jk!), and then I witnessed one of the most entertaining conversation I've heard in a LONG time.  The girls were listening to some music in my car, and Miss M' (who is a huge country music fan!) heard a song by Reba (if you listen to country...no last name is necessary!) and she said, "Reba is like.....100 years old."  Since when did Reba become a centurion?  Where have I been?  Then, M's bff turned the station to one that I've never heard before, and bff screamed, "Oh!!  I love this song!  It is totally is EPIC-RAD (rad....now there's a word that I can relate to!)  It makes me cry every time I hear it."  I am thinking to myself, "Oh fantastic!  Finally a song that I can relate to.....Journey, Foreigner, White Snake." You know... a gool ole' love song by a "timeless" group.  Just as I was channeling my inner-mullet, leather-jacket wearing 80's self, a hideous rap song started to blare from the speakers.  Seriously? Um...n.o.t.s.o.m.u.c.h.  And it happened again.....I turned the radio station and with that I was "uncool" again.  I was, however thrilled when my daughter said, "I don't really like that kind of music anyway.  I'm more in to country."   YES!!!!

I just had to record this on my blog...more for myself. :)

2 comments:

Karen said...

Love it!! What a special night for Miss M :) But sometimes you just need to C.O.D. (chill.out.dude)...such great memories :)

Briana said...

oh man, but country almost isn't country anymore. It should tell a story, something we can relate to. Now, apparently Sugarland raps. I miss my Kris LeDoux and Garth Brooks and Reba is a favorite ;) Nobody can sing anymore...it is all about looks.