Friday, April 22, 2011

Tulip Etiquette....

In honor of the Tulip Festival, I thought I'd post this just for those wondering what is acceptable, and what is not acceptable to the "locals" during the tulip festival.....(I know they are beautiful to look at, and if you follow these simple instructions you will be happy, as well as the locals).

1.  If a sign reads "Private Property....No Trespassing" it isn't just for giggles.  It means.....please don't have a picnic on my front yard.  Or, don't think, "oh, they won't mind ME trespassing for just a minute.".....because guess what???....I DO mind!

2.  If a sign reads "No Parking".... it means just that.  It does not mean ...quick, stop, take a few quick pictures before someone sees me parking here, nor does it mean.....it's ok to park between two "No Parking" signs 20 feet apart.

3.  If a sign reads "Please stay on pathway"....it does not mean ride your bicycle as close to my yard as possible and peer into my windows while I eat lunch because it makes me uncomfortable for you to watch me eat.

4.  It is never ok to sit and watch my children play in the yard.  It's just weird, and frankly it creeps me out.  And, please DO NOT take pictures of my children playing in the yard, or I may just call the cops on you.  I know they are incredibly cute, but they are not part of the "scenery" that you wish to capture.

5.  Our cows are hard at work, and they do not need you pestering them while doing so.  YOU present a bio hazard, so please look from afar.

6.  If my horse has a muzzle on it is not because I am mean.  It is because you may be dumb and put your finger by her mouth, and she may just bite you.

7.  It is never ok to call a dog out of her OWN yard while she is playing in her OWN yard, and then think she is suddenly a stray.  Oh, and FYI....you can't take a dog across the border without proper documentation!  And, speaking of MY dog she will bark incessantly at you if you get too close to HER yard, which further annoys me (and her). YOU are pestering her in her OWN environment.

8.  My chickens are not here for your viewing pleasure.  Leave them alone!

9.  If you are at a busy intersection please refrain from stopping your car and pulling out your map to figure out where you are.  It is annoying and flagging me around you isn't always possible.  Please find a parking lot, or pull off the road (but please see #2) before parking.

10.  If a sign reads "Tulip Route", or "Local Access Only"....guess what it means? Yes, darling.......not....."I wonder what happens when I go this way??"

*This is all in good fun!  We do live in an AMAZING area.  As my brother-in-law stated today, "it doesn't get any better than this" while pointing out to a sea of yellow and red.

6 comments:

Michelle - Blessed Mom of 5 said...

You should change your signs to "Parking - $10" and see how many people still stop! :)

Karen said...

Hilarious, Shelby!!! Love this post....it deserves a headline in the local paper :) I love Michelle's idea....just imagine how much moolah you could make from the "tourists". By the way, I'm not paying!

Briana said...

Hahaha...I love the parking $10 idea also. Brings back memories of last year. :)

Theresa said...

you go girl!! :) I agree with Karen, this should be printed in the newspaper!

Steve, Melinda and family said...

Love it....

Steve, Melinda and family said...

love it....