Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Me on my soapbox

I have to be honest. I didn't sleep for more than an hour last night. My mind was spinning out of control. I kept thinking about flights, in-country travel, where we would stay, my lack of Mandarin knowledge, we must be crazy, will Miss A. be afraid of us, will she mourn the loss of her caregivers, will she think that we are a bit nut-so, is D' ready for us to be away from him, will M' and J' be ok w/out us for a few days, do people "really" want to take our kiddos for 11 days, etc., etc. The list can go on and on. I almost got out of bed at about 2:00 am to go for a run in hopes that I would come back tired enough to sleep. I can not stress the word ALMOST enough:).

I will admit that one of my many weaknesses is worry. I struggle with it! I don't know why I do b/c it serves no purpose except to make life miserable, and one of my biggest pet peeves in life is listening to people complain. I have all the sympathy in the world for people who are going thru struggles and trials in their lives, but I ALSO think that we need to realize that we are blessed beyond measure! God does not send us anything that we can not handle, and to constantly complain (in my opinion) is not showing any sort of thankful heart.

So, last night I was committing my own worst pet peeve. I was "mentally" complaining. Things may seem overwhelming to me right now, but I know that God will work it all out to serve His purpose and that He will be given the Glory! My boss (and also my good friend) tells me often that worry is lack of faith. Hmmm....I would tend to agree. I am so blessed. God's timing is perfect, and He gives us strength to persevere thru our trials.

And, just for the record.....everything does work out in the end. Our airfare has been booked, our in-country travel is being worked on, the amazing missionaries are working w/A' so that her transition won't be as difficult, etc., etc. God is great!

4 comments:

amanda said...

Shelbs,

We are so excited to meet Anna. We are also very excited to have the kids. We are all thinking of fun things we can do. Mark of course is not invited because my van only seats 7. You have been blessed with a beautiful daughter to be very proud of. She is a gift that is indescribable to those who have not adopted. No matter how hard the transition is for all of your little ones, we are here to help you.

LOVE YOU,

Amanda

Unknown said...

Well said, Amanda. - Kathi

Sonya said...

Shelby, one of my favorite verses of the bible, and one I constantly need to remind myself of is Matthew 6:34. "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." You're right, God IS great and He will provide what you need for this trip! Everything will fall in to place as it's supposed to and your sweet little A will be so blessed to be a part of YOUR family!

Shirlee McCoy said...

I can't wait to meet you there!